Monday, August 8, 2011

When Drew was at Boston University

This was a post Drew had made to his blog on Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Boston University
I arrived at BU about 9 days ago and have been pretty busy so I haven't been able to post much. I've played a few poker games, during which I learned a few simple caveats:

Simply put, if you hold top pair on the flop, you're going to want to "protect" your hand with one possible exception: if you hold aces and want to risk slowplaying until the turn to throw your opponent off. What I did learn is that while your ego may tell you otherwise, it's simply not worth risking large sums of chips (relative to your stack, in the case of a tournament) on a top pair that is lower than Jacks. Betting too much on small top pairs on the flop (even with ace kicker) was the only mistake I made the past few games. And when I say betting too much, I mean going all in or something similiar when your initial raise is reraised on the flop -- you can bet a sizable amount but don't count on your hand holding up in the face of major resistance.

Anyway, I'll update more often once I play in some games and have time...

No comments:

Post a Comment